Monday, October 25, 2010

I thought they were christians?

The battle came and went all too quickly.  Beowulf was no match for me; at first anyway.  He was to be rewarded with gifts, treasure and fame, which works for us monsters, we thrive on fame, but they are supposed to be better than us.  The Danes are supposed to represent all that is good and holy, my understanding is that doing something for fame and honor is not God’s will.  Perhaps that is why I was winning at first, he was fighting for selfish reasons, so he deserved punishment, like my ancestor, Cain.  And where did that sword come from?  It was a gift from the giants when Grendel was born, but it was supposed to be heavier than any man could lift. Also, it was forged by giants and cursed, which are evil and against the code of the Danes.  I could see the anger and desperation in his eyes as he reached for that sword; maybe that’s why he was able to use the sword.
Unfortunately, I was no match for the giant’s magic.  Beowulf’s anger was too strong.  He cut me straight through and all of my bones broke.  Now I am in what I guess is hell.  Whereas before we live in hell on earth, now this truly feels like home. 
Beowulf continued on looking for something else in my ‘hell on earth’.  At first I couldn’t tell what he was looking for, but eventually I saw him heading toward my son.  Grendel was thought to be dead, but wasn’t actually defeated in the first battle, just wounded.  I feared for him as I watched that retched warrior kill Grendel, broken and defenseless.  Was it not enough to go after me? 
After it was all over I noticed the water of our previous home, it was clean and calm.  All of the demons living there were dead, clearing it of its darkness.  For now God had prevailed and helped Beowulf defeat us, but he shall soon be consumed by selfishness, by evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment